Setup and configure the PPP Server as pictured below
- Begin by entering a PPP Server Name: The CIA, for example
- Set the correct Baud Rate for your modem. 68000/020/030 Macs try 19200 baud for
best results. Higher baud rates may cause loss of data. 68040 and Power PC Macs can use
57600 baud reliably.
- A hardware handshake modem cable is highly recommended, as well as at least a 9600 baud
modem. Set Flow Control to CTS & RTS (DTR).
- Set Phone Num to your local CIA access number, found on the Confirmation sheet
sent with your disks.
- A Modem Init string may be added to match your modem if the built in strings fail
to work. Begin by trying a connection with no Modem Init string. If FreePPP reports an
Error trying to setup your modem, insert a configuration string appropriate to your modem.
If you can not find the initialization string in your modem's manual, give us a call we
have a listing of them.
If you would like to have your login and password entered automatically (This is not
recommended for anyone who leaves their computer unattended where it can be used by
others) click on the Authentication button.
- Fill in the Auth.ID box with your username.
- Fill in the Password box with your password.
- Click on the Button for OK
- The Authentication window will close leaving you back in the Server Name: window
(pictured last page).
- Click on the Done button.
This will close that widow and return you to the ConfigPPP window (pictured last page).
Close this window and Restart your Mac.
Once your have Restarted you can open ConfigPPP and hit the Open
button. This will connect you to The CIA.
If for some reason you cannot connect, try the following:
Click on the Terminal Window box inside the ConfigPPP window to bring up a
basic terminal emulator, which will appear when FreePPP is trying to connect with the
local terminal server. You can then use the terminal emulator to manually type any
commands needed to put the terminal server into PPP mode. These commands are as follows:
- Type ATDT followed by the phone number (local access number) on the same line.
- Once you get to the username prompt, enter your UserID/login.
- Then enter your password.
- When you get the message "Starting PPP", click the OK button to start
your PPP session.